Last modified: 01.08.2018

Before Arrival

Bringing your family

This section outlines what the International Staff Unit (ISU) considers to be the most important issues before arrival faced by Aalborg University’s international staff members and their families. It is intended to support you who is considering relocating to Denmark with children or a spouse/ partner.

Please note that if you are planning to live in Denmark for a shorter period of time (e.g. guest researchers, guest PhDs) and you are planning to bring a child of school-age, you need to be aware that it can be very difficult to have your child admitted into a school in Denmark, both public and private. Read more on stays under 90 days.

  • +

    Bringing your spouse/partner

    Aalborg University (AAU) has its own spouse and partner programme to provide customised support to expat partners of AAU international employees. The program is called AAU + 1. 



    • One-on-one meeting - "Welcome to Denmark"
    • Networking events 
    • Career advice
    • Personal development workshops
    • Free access to the International Dual Career Network (IDCN)
    • Danish culture training

    If your spouse or partner accompanies you to Denmark, please encourage them to register for this programme by filling in the AAU +1 registration form


    Visit AAU +1 page

    Visit the AAU +1 spouse and partner network page by clicking on this link.

  • +

    Child benefits and allowances

    When working in Denmark, families with children may be for receiving child benefits. Parents have the right to receive child benefits for each child under 18 years of age. The child benefits are paid on a monthly or quarterly basis.

    Child benefit rates:

    The monthly/quarterly fee per child is (2020):

    • Children 0 - 2 years old: 4.596 DKK quarterly
    • Children 3 - 6 years old: 3.639 DKK quarterly
    • Children 7 - 14 years old: 2.862 DKK quarterly
    • Youth 15 - 17 years old: 954 DKK pr. month

    Parents with a yearly income of more than 800,100 DKK will receive a reduced child benefit.


    EU/EEA citizens

    In order to receive the full amount of child benefits, at least one of the parents who has custody of the child must have resided or worked in Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Lichtenstein or another EU/EEA country for a minimum of 6 years within the last 10 years.

    If they have not lived in Denmark or another EU/EEA country for at least 6 years within the last 10 years, they are entitled to a reduced percentage of the child benefit. See the rates at


    Non-EU/EEA citizens

    Non EU/EEA citizens are entitled to a reduced percentage of the child benefit proportional to the time they have lived and worked in Denmark. 



    Please contact Udbetaling Danmark via telephone +45 70128062 or contact them by e-mail at to find out whether you are entitled to benefits for your children and how to apply for it.

    You can find further information at the


    Single providers

    In addition to the child benefits, there are other special child allowances which are paid in different situations – e.g. if you are a single provider.

    If you want to know more about special child allowances as a single provider, please contact Udbetaling Danmark by phone +45 70 12 80 62.

    Read can read more about special child allowances on  

  • +

    Childcare in Denmark

    All children in Denmark are guaranteed a place in a childcare institution. The vast majority of children aged between 3-5 years are cared for in a day care facility from Monday to Friday.

    Options for childcare consist of day cares for children 0-3 years old, kindergartens for children 3-6 years old and pre-school/after school centres for children 6-10 years old. In addition, there is the option of local childcare, in which children are cared for in private homes by a registered child minder.

    In most cases, the opening hours of the childcare facilities are Monday-Thursday 6:30 am to 5 pm, and Fridays until 4 pm. Opening hours may vary depending on the specific institution and geographical area.

    Childcare is financed partly by the parents, partly by the municipality. Prices may differ depending on the municipality and the type of childcare. Prices for children 0-3 years old are approx. up to DKK 4,100 per month including meals. Kindergartens often cost less.

    Most childcare services are municipal, but there are also many privately owned facilities as well, and in a few of them, the spoken language is English. To register, please contact the respective municipality, and do it as soon as possible as most institutions will have waiting lists. Please be aware that your child will need a CPR number in order to register for childcare.